Rock House State MemorialBuilt between 1835 and 1839 this is famous stage stop and an early American frontier home in Sparta, TN served as a toll house and stagecoach inn along the Wilderness Road, accomodating famous Americans such as Andrew Jackson, Sam Houston and James K. Polk.
In the late 1830s, the Rock House catered to traffic along an important wagon road between Knoxville and Nashville, offering badly needed lodging and supplies to travellers who had just crossed (or were about to cross, depending on their direction) the rugged Cumberland Plateau. The Rock House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 for its architecture and its historical role as an important rest stop.
The Rock House was probably built by either Samuel Denton or brothers Barlow and Madison Fiske, and initially operated by the latter two. Early guests at the Rock House included presidents Andrew Jackson and James K. Polk, and Governor Sam Houston. It was home to a tollhouse and supply store until at least the 1850s, and was used as a school at various times between 1880 and 1921. Due primarily to the efforts of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the state purchased and began restoring the Rock House in the 1940s. The Rock House is currently operated as a state historic site.
You Tube Video: http://youtu.be/u7YQpdwDi6Q
For More Information
3663 Country Club Road
Sparta, TN 38583
- Sunset Rock, 1.5 miles away
- Historic Oldham Theatre, 3.4 miles away
- Lester Flatt Memorial, 3.4 miles away
- Miss Marenda's Tea Room, 3.4 miles away
- Sparta Rotary Christmas Parade [12/14/2013 - 12/15/2013], 3.4 miles away