Founded by the Virginia minister John Dillard in 1821, Alpine Institute would be burned by both guerrilla fighter in the Civil War and shortly thereafter by the Klu Klux Klan. Years later, in 1880, the school was re-established by the future Tennessee governor, A.H Roberts, and developed into one of Tennessee's most competitive rural schools.
Although the Alpine Institute's main school building is gone, the Alpine Institute is well-maintained and still used for religious services. The school's gymnasium is serves as Alpine's community center, and the manse is still in use as a residence. Other surviving structures include the shop building and a dairy barn. The gymnasium, church, and shop building were all built using the same type of native stone.
The is a very unassuming piece of Tennessee history amidst some of the state's most beautiful scenery.
For More Information
126 Campus Circle
Alpine, TN 38543
Phone: (931) 823-6627
- Big Springs Bar and Grill, 3.9 miles away
- Parkway Restaurant, 5.3 miles away
- Overton County Courthouse, 5.7 miles away
- Overton County Cruise-In [10/11/2014], 5.8 miles away
- 28th Annual Rollercoaster Yard Sale [10/02/2014 - 10/05/2014], 5.8 miles away
- Tennessee - Created 09/12/2014
- 127 Yardsale - Created 06/27/2014
- Overton County Trip - Created 06/08/2013
- Rollercoaster Yard Sale History Sites - Created 08/14/2012
- Rollercoaster Historic Sites - Created 08/13/2012
- TN's 127 Sale Historic Sites - Created 07/20/2012
- Upper Cumberland History - Created 07/12/2012
- Hippie Jacks Trip - Created 05/21/2012