Piney River Segment of the Cumberland Trail
This 8.46 mile trail is a moderately rated hike starting from the picnic area on Shut-in Gap Road. The Twin Rocks Nature Trail takes off to the left about .1 miles from the picnic area. The trail continues up the slope, then follows the side of the mountain for another 3/4 miles, where a trail branches off to descend to the river.
After hiking another 2.2 miles the hiker encounters the picturesque 100 foot suspension bridge pictured above. Then the trail follows an old dinky railroad, almost level, then crosses a 20 foot bridge over Pine Branch, then a 45 foot bridge over Rock House Branch. A side trail leads 1/2 mile to the "bathtub", a 7 foot deep basin in the stream.
The trail continues, winding up and down the slope as it continues upstream, through a beautiful stand of large hardwoods called Big Cove. Spider Den Bluff is the next interesting feature. Then the trail winds past White Pine Cascades to cross the road. The trail parallels the road generally uphill to Newby Forest Camp trailhead.
(Source URL: http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/piney_river.html)
For More Information
531 Shut in Gap Road
Spring City, TN 37381
- Red Barn Restaurant and Grill, 1.1 miles away
- Piney Falls State Natural Area, 3.3 miles away
- Stinging Fork Falls State Natural Area, 3.4 miles away
- Grandview Mountain Cottages, 5.1 miles away
- Swafford Chapel & Cemetery , 11.2 miles away
- 127 Yardsale - Created 06/27/2014
- Family Fun - Created 05/21/2014
- crossville tn - Created 03/03/2014
- East Tennessee - Created 12/23/2013
- Tenessee - Created 12/18/2013
- oct2013 - Created 10/29/2013
- cumberland - Created 08/02/2012
- TN's 127 Yard Sale Nature Sites - Created 07/20/2012
- Bluegrass Trip - Created 07/11/2012