Coke Ovens Museum
The Sequatchie Valley Historical Association, formed in 1984, set a goal to build an exact full size replica of the original coal company store "Commissary". The original "Commissary" building was constructed in 1902 by the Douglas Coal and Coke Company and was torn down after 1927 when the Chattanooga Iron and Coal Company bankrupted. Historical members researched photographs and maps to locate the original four corners of the "Commissary". The building measured 92' long and 46' wide, and including the observation copula was three stories tall. The reconstruction began in 1987 with ground-breaking ceremonies held at the park. The Studer coal family donated the first $5,000 toward the building fund.
In 1989, Rhea County historian Mr. David Henry Gray died, and in his will named the Dunlap Coke Ovens Museum as the beneficiary of 30% of his residual assets, totaling over $71,000. Due to Mr. Gray's generosity, theCoke Ovens Museum became a reality with the reconstruction of "The Commissary". The new "Commissary" sits exactly where the old building originally existed. Today it is called the Dunlap Coke Ovens Museum, and is dedicated in memory of Mr. Gray.
The museum currently houses the largest collection of regional historic coal mining photographs in the state of Tennessee. Hundreds of donated mining artifacts are on display inside the museum. The Sequatchie Valley Historical Association is still accepting any coal related artifacts to add to their collection.
For More Information
114 Walnut Street
Dunlap, TN 37327
- Above the Clouds Bed & Breakfast, 0.1 miles away
- Tony's Extended Stay Motel, 0.6 miles away
- Dunlap Restaurant, 1.7 miles away
- Canoe the Sequatchie, 2.6 miles away
- A Tennessee Guest Ranch, 7.7 miles away